State Bar of Texas
Memberships & Associations
Texas State Bar Association
Texas City Attorneys Association
Houston Bar Association
International Municipal Lawyers Association
Doctor of Jurisprudence
University of Houston Law Center, cum laude, 2018
Order of the Barons
Houston Law Review
Bachelor of Science (Liberal Biology, Political Science)
McGill University (Montreal, Canada), 2014
Professional Legal Experience
Olson & Olson, LLP | Houston, Texas | 2019 – present | Attorney
Monty & Ramirez, LLP | Houston, Texas | 2018 – 2019 | Labor & Employment Associate
Jay’s practice focuses on the representation of local governmental entities in labor and employment matters. Jay’s expertise include assisting clients with all aspects of employment law including discrimination, harassment, and retaliation lawsuits. Jay has also represented clients in wage-and-hour litigation and provides human resources counsel in matters related to internal investigations, handbook drafting, pay and leave provisions, and disciplinary policy.
Jay Zhang graduated cum laude (top 15% of his class) and served as the Chief Notes and Comments Editor for Houston Law Review. Jay also served as the Competitions Chair for the Moot Court Team where he represented University of Houston Law Center in employment law moot court competitions. During law school, Jay interned for a federal magistrate judge and was a research assistant to Professor Raymond Britton with a focus on labor and arbitration. Jay frequently holds seminars and training presentations for municipalities on legal compliance and other personnel issues.
Articles, Publications, Presentations
- Remote Start – A Municipal Guide to Personnel Issues During COVID-19 – Olson & Olson Local Government Webinar (2-part webinar) • Houston, Texas, 2020.
- License to Separate – How to Get the Most Out Of Your F-5 Hearings – Olson & Olson Local Government Seminar • Houston, Texas, 2020.
- How Can We Help You Do Your Job? Best Practices for Processing Accommodation Requests Under the ADA – Olson & Olson Local Government Seminar • Houston, Texas, 2020.
- Harassment in the Workplace Training – City of Dickinson Personnel Training • Dickinson, Texas, 2019.
- Comment, The Case for Invalidating Collective Action Waivers Under Section 7 of the NLRA, 55 HOUS. L. REV. 1027 (2018).
- Former Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program Participant with the Houston Chinese Community Center (2016)